Monday, January 08, 2007

New year resolution? If you want to call it that...

I was trying to avoid posting any lame "new year resolution" entries as I don't see why anyone needs to pick a symbolic point in time to decide they need to do something. My opinion has always been if you want to do something, make a decision to do it and make it happen! As a result, I don't usually make a new year resolution. It just so happened that I've decided to take some action about something at this time of the year, which I suppose makes it a new year resolution by coincidence.

First a bit of background...

Those that know me well know that I have a bit of an interest in all things entrepreneurial. Hey who doesn't right? Anyway, I'm only posting about this because I need a reference that I can use for myself as a motivational tool to get me to take steps forward. Otherwise, it's just too easy to say "I'll just spend today watching the cricket and do that thing tomorrow when the cricket's over." Problem is, the frigging tennis is on tomorrow and you find yourself saying you'll do it when the tennis is over. It's a vicious cycle of inaction.

I got a news story via one of my RSS feeds (of which I have way too many, but that's another problem for another time) about a new site that lets you order custom music. They seem to be targeting the romantic at heart and lets you order a piece of "tailored custom" music for your loved one for a fee. That's one of the ultimate unique gifts right? Which girl (or guy) wouldn't like a song that was written just for them? Maybe I'm over-generalising here but you get my point. It's a good idea if executed and marketed well. Of course, I'm a bit biased here because this EXACT idea's been floating around in my head for the PAST 2 YEARS! I'm in NO WAY implying that these guys stole my idea. How could they? I never told anyone about my idea! I just always thought it would be a good business. Even worse, I have the skills (at least I think I do - others may think I suck at the skills required) to do what's required. I am a classically trained pianist who dabbles in songwriting occasionally AND I'm in the IT industry and have the skills to build such a site that could service such a business! I even have my own amateur-ish recording studio with a keyboard, external midi device, microphones all hooked into my computer and the Dolby 5.1 surround sound system.

Now for the "new year resolution"...

This has been bugging me for the past week so I've decided that my resolution for the year 2007 is:
Just Do It!

I've always been a big fan of Nike so I guess I should have taken more notice of their slogan. Oh, and I do not and have never worked for Nike so I have nothing to gain from saying any of this other than it's an appropriate mantra for me. Hopefully they don't try to charge me for adopting it otherwise I'll have to find a new one.

Now, I just need a new idea that I think can fly and go for it.

Incidentally...my birthday is coming up this month. Anyone want to buy me a tailored custom song? I didn't think so :-)

No comments: